3 Ways to Upgrade your Home Electrical System

The demand for power in the average home is only going one way - up! As homeowners install energy-hungry appliances and entertainment systems, it can place an ever increasing strain on the electrical system in their home. If you have old wiring in your home, outdated panels or rely on extension cords, you may find that your electrical appliances do not perform as they should. Old wiring and switch panels could also create a fire risk in your home which could place your loved ones at risk. Below is a guide to 3 simple steps you can take to upgrade the electrical systems in your home.

Extend Existing Circuits

If you rely on extension cords in order to power the appliances in your home, the asking an electrical contractor to extend one of the circuits in your home could be a solution. Extension cords should only be used on a short-term or temporary basis as they can easily become overloaded. A contractor will extend the circuit by adding a length of wire to the neutral and live cables located in the service panel.

Install a New Circuit

If the existing set up does not support the current load and you cannot extend an existing circuit, you may decide to install a new circuit. Before installing a new circuit, an electrical contractor will check that the potential new load does not exceed the total limit for your property. The contractor will then install a branching circuit which runs the electrical distribution panel into and around your home.

Install a New Sub-Panel

Installing a new sub-panel involves much more work when compared to extending and installing a new circuit. The sub-panel acts a routeing station which is wired up to your property's breaker box. Installing a new sub-panel will allow you to add capacity, so you do not exceed the power rating assigned to your home's electrical system. There is no limit to the number of sub-panels you can install in a home, and each sub-panel will help to reduce the amount of strain which is placed on the main electrical panel in your home. 

If the electrical system in your home is not performing as it should and needs upgrading, you should contact a qualified residential electrical contractor. The contractor will answer any questions you have. They will then visit your home to assess your needs before carrying out the required work.